Easy Steps To Start Meditating
Here are ways to make meditation simple.
Everyone says how beneficial meditation is, but either finding a place to start or even the time to start is often the first road block. We wanted to share with you some simple, realistic ways to make meditation a part of your life and, in turn, experience the wonderful benefits.
Meditation originally was meant to help deepen understanding of the sacred and mystical forces of life. These days, meditation is commonly used for relaxation and stress reduction.
What are the benefits of meditation?
The emotional benefits of meditation can include:
- Gaining a new perspective on stressful situations
- Building skills to manage your stress
- Increasing self-awareness
- Focusing on the present
- Reducing negative emotions
Some research suggests that meditation may help people manage symptoms of conditions such as:
- Anxiety disorders
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Sleep problems
Easy Steps To Start Meditating.
- Instead of thinking about your next event or facebook update, start to mind map your meditation, such as: the time of the day, place, and type of meditation.
- Pick a place where you know you won’t be interrupted by someone, your phone, or general technology. As much as sitting outside at the beach or the park sounds inviting, at the beginning, possibly pick a place in your home where you can maybe close the door. Save the outside for when you can focus completely on your meditation.
- When you pick a time, tell yourself you don’t have to stick with that time forever. The optimal time of the day is what is best for your schedule. It’s recommended to start your day with meditation so that you can continuously go back to that place with which you started your day. Just breathe
- A perfect meditation with which to start is a guided meditation. What is a guided meditation? A guided meditation is one that you listen to and follow along. The narrator will guide you with their words to help you breathe, visualize, and meditate. Click here for a free meditation – Loving Kindness Meditation. This is a 27 minute meditation designed for stress relief. If the length of this meditation is too long, start with the Timelessness Meditation. This is a perfect 10-minute guided meditation for connecting with your expansive breathe.
So now you know a little bit of the history, the reasons why to meditate, and some simple steps to making meditation a part of your life. Also, you don’t need to sit up, fancy yoga clothes, or a meditation altar. Start with just your time, place, and meditation. Once you start and create that connection with having an expansive breathe and calmness, you will want to stick with it. Don’t worry if a couple of days pass and you haven’t had time. Always know that it is there for you and all you have to do is pick a place and a time, and meditate.
We offer a free open to the public meditation every Friday at 6:30pm. The Loving Kindness Meditation has been offered for over 14 years on the North Shore in Evanston, Illinois. You are always welcome to walk in, no reservations required, and you don’t need to bring anything nor wear special attire. It’s a wonderful day to end the week and start your weekend. We would love to see you. MSI Wellness Center 2153 Ashland Ave Suite 3 Evanston IL 60201. Call for details 847-866-0505.